Thursday, March 12, 2009

Find Jobs Your Competition Doesn’t Even Know Exist

I don’t have the statistics, but my experience in the business world has taught me that many if not most of the jobs you would like to have aren’t even posted on all of the sites we spend so much time scanning on the internet. Why is this?

1. Companies are always in the process of assessing their needs and positions are available long before the “posting” process is completed.
2. Many companies first look internally to find the right person for a position. But this doesn’t mean the company is wedded to this process if the right applicant from the outside catches someone’s attention.
3. Many businesses don’t really know their staffing needs but can be taught by an aggressive job applicant.
4. Businesses are always on the look-out for talent that adds real value. One who impresses might just cause a company to create a position and figure out just how you can help later.
5. Timing is a curious thing. You may just catch someone’s attention the day before a position is scheduled for posting.

The bottom line is that any business in this environment is always looking for real talent. The key is to show someone you have it before others do.

Many years ago, I left a law firm that specialized in litigation and decided to take that experience and look for a position as an in-house corporate attorney. I was fortunate because one of my best friends was a recruiter and also had a big heart. He truly thrived on helping people. In fact he always had a few extra desks at his office where he would let friends work while looking for a job. I called Bill and told him what I was looking for and he told me to stop in the following Monday.

When I arrived, I honestly expected Bill to hand me a list of companies who were looking for people with my experience and say something like, “I’ve spoken with these folks and they’d like you to call and schedule an interview.”

This is not what happened. Instead, Bill pointed to a desk and told me I could use it, the phone on it, and a book sitting there listing information about all of the companies in the Chicago area. Surprised, I asked, “Well, what do I do with it?”

Bill didn’t hesitate, “You go through it, make a list of all the companies that would be large enough to employ in-house attorneys. Then get the name and number of the person in the company at the highest level who will make the final decision on hiring an attorney. If the company has an in-house staff, get the name and number of the General Counsel. If it doesn’t yet have an in-house attorney, but is large enough to need one, get the name and number of the President.”

“And then what,” I stammered.

“Call them,” Bill said and walked away.

Over the course of the next couple of days, I very reluctantly did make a list, obtained the right names and numbers to call, in some cases calling the main number to get that person’s name and number. I spent a lot of time doing this, pushing off the inevitable moment when I would need to pick up the phone and actually call these people.

When I’d completed the list, I asked Bill what I should say. He told me I would figure it out along the way but to essentially tell the person briefly who I was, what I had done, why I could be of value to his or her company and ask to make an appointment to see them.

Scared straight, I wrote out my “pitch” and started calling the smallest companies on the list first. I’ll talk tomorrow about some of the results of these calls in more detail and the benefits of even a flat out refusal to take the call, though there were few.

But to make today’s point, over the course of a week, my confidence in delivering my proposal increased and my fears lessened but never flat out left me. Eventually I got to the big companies and at the very end of the day on Friday, I called the General Counsel of one of the largest companies headquartered in the Chicago area, a Fortune 100 company with a global presence.

The General Counsel was not in, but the receptionist was nice enough to put me through to the Assistant General Counsel. I told him who I was, what I had done and why I could help his company. Expecting a “send me a resume” response at best, I got a surprise.

“This is quite a coincidence,” the Assistant General Counsel said, "I have had this proposed advertisement for an attorney on my desk for three days for approval and was going to send it to Human Resources to place in the papers on Monday. Frankly, your background doesn’t sound like an exact fit but call Mr. Brown on Monday and set an appointment to see him. I’ll let him know you will be calling. Have a nice weekend.”

I won’t describe the emotions that I experienced after that call but will tell you that I called Mr. Brown on Monday and eventually got the job.

More on this approach tomorrow.

No comments: